Thursday 17 July 2014

My first year in college ~ what my college course entailed

A few weeks ago I wrote a post about my first year in college and there was a bit of interest into what my college course was about and what it entailed.  If you haven't read my first post you can find it here.

So if you didn't know I've just finished my first year in college and I studied a level 3 health and social care subsidiary diploma.  In this post I will just be describing and telling you all about what I learnt in my first year in college and what the course taught me.

When I signed up to do health and social care I thought I would be learning a lot about psychology, sociology and a bit about philosophy.  How wrong I was.  Over the year I covered 6 units.  Here's a break down of what all of them entailed:


  • Unit 1 ~ communications.  Within this unit I was taught all about how to communicate with different types of people within the health and social care setting.  I learnt that you have to alter how you talk to people depending on what audience you are talking to eg if you are talking to a patient you will have to speak in a professional way whereas if you are talking to a child you can talk more informally.  Most of my assignments were essays for this unit.
  • Unit 2 ~ Equality, Diversity & Rights.  This unit for me was linked into communications and was taught by the same teacher.  I found this unit a little bit more tricky than communications though.  For me you learn about acknowledging different beliefs, views and values depending on religion and different audiences.  One of my assignments for this unit included watching a horrific video about a care home with violent members of staff in it abusing the service users and we had to write an essay on it..lets just say it was a long winded assignment guys.
  • Unit 3 ~  health and safety.  This unit is all to do with being safe within the health and social care environment.  I completed risk assessments, essays and presentations all to do with being safe within health and social care.  
  • Unit 4 ~ life stages.  This unit is all about learning all the different life stages you will experience while growing up.  You will learn about what it's like to be a baby to being on your death bed and all in between.
  • Unit 5 ~ Caring for children.  Within this unit you will learn about mostly laws and legislation to do with looking after young people and children.  You will be taught on what happens to children in care who are being abused and all to do with care orders and court cases.
  • Unit 6 ~ Vocational experience / health sector.  This is all about going on work experience during the course.  For me I was placed in a nursing home and my old school which I really enjoyed.  This gives you a good feel of different sectors within health and social care and might make you realise what you want to go into when you're older.
Disclaimer ~ not everyone will do these units above.  You might get taught some of completely different ones, it all depends on your college.  For me I thought I would learn more about the biology side but I think I'm doing that in my second year.  I was surprised to learn so much about law.

For anyone who is umming and arring over doing this course my advice would be just to do it!  If you end up hating it it's not the end of the world you can always change.  One thing I would say though is that you have to be very committed and realise there's a lot of writing so if you hate writing essays then maybe think twice.  If you have any questions feel free to comment below or tweet me!

~ Leigh.x

No comments:

Post a Comment